Saturday 11 April 2015

Beginning of a new...SAGA...well for me at least

Howdy folks,

Nope, I don't have any inside scoops on pending or future developments from the folks at Gripping Beast...sorry.  But what I do have is the beginnings of my newest gaming interest.  Specifically the Dark Ages, with much of the blame going to my buddy Mike for exposing me to the game and my buddy Duncan for lending me the Crescent and Cross rulebook.

Mike spread the word on his blog about a SAGA themed painting contest by the folks over at WWPD.  The objective is to paint up a unit of troops either hearthguard, warrior, or levy and post a pic with a link to more of your unit.

So, here's hoping that I get my post up in time and hopefully I have some talent to be able to be amongst some very fine painters...I'm pretty pumped, I've only ever entered one other painting contest...so we shall see.

Take care.

My unit: a four man Hearthguard, on foot with heavy weapons for my fledgling Crusader warband.

The pics: because these pics were primarily for the painting contest, my lovely wife lent me her camera and I thought I'd also try a different shooting location...


The Hearthguard...
 
 
 
The Axeman
 
An overhead shot to try to highlight some of the basing work...
 
The Swordsman... 
 
 
 The Swordsman...full colour and epic historical

17 comments:

Paul O'G said...

I really like the Army colour theme and the great weathering you've applied.
They look like they have slogged all the way to Jerusalem!

Phil said...

Splendid job, very realistic...

Mike_A said...

Very nice!

Duncan said...

They look really good. Everyone posting SAGA pictures is making it hard to concentrate on painting my 15mm WW2 stuff!

Stan M. said...

Thanks Paul...I found a similar colour when I googled Crusader uniforms and found some pics of replica uniforms. I first tried them looking fresh and had to weather them up...I'm very happy with the result. Cheers.

Stan M. said...

Thank you Phil...I much prefer the 'beat-up' look.

Stan M. said...

Thanks Mike...we'll see if I can get the whole band done for the tournie this fall...

Stan M. said...

Thanks Duncan...lol, I just posted some WW2 for you...

Russ said...

Very gruff looking chaps, they look spot on

Russ said...

Very gruff looking chaps, they look spot on

Stan M. said...

Thank you Russ.

Braxen said...

very nice looking figures, you did them much justice. Who is the manufacturer?

Stan M. said...

Thank you Braxen. The figs are from Crusader Miniatures...IIRC the exact blister is the 'knights with heavy weapons'.

A.P. said...

Just starting to get an interest in this period for wargaming. Really great painting. I'm impressed. Love the blood on the axe.

Stan M. said...

Thank you Alex...now to decide which unit to paint next. Cheers.

Nate said...

Stunning!

Stan M. said...

Thank you Nate.